Sunday, December 20, 2020

Lohwand: the Dara Happan Emperors List - Part 1

 


List of Dara Happan Emperors, 
from the First Sunrise to the Present.

(To see full size, click on the image, then
 right click, and open the image in its own tab. 
It should allow you to magnify the image.)

Following on from my Tharkallan Emperors list based on Greg Stafford's Lunar Empire material from The Fortunate Succession, a Glorantha supplement, the fantasy world he created. This list is from information on the Dara Happan Empire from the same supplement. I've changed some stuff, of course, to make it fit my campaign. The main thing is that The Fortunate Succession provides a useful source of names and little tidbits of background.

I still have to go back and do Part 2 of the Tharkallan Emperors list, where I flesh out the listings with better descriptions but I wanted to make a start on Dara Happa, another name I borrowed as a nation in my campaign. 

So today I worked on the Dara Happan Emperors list. This list goes back to the First Sunrise, when Yelm* the Sun God first rose in the sky. By Dara Happan reckoning that is 112,289 years ago. Now obviously a large part of that is some mythic "Godtime", but even so Dara Happa is a long-lived empire. 

*this is more Gloranthan material! I'm a fan!

Today it is but a shadow of its former self. It used to span almost the entire Northlands and much of the Southlands. But that was in the Godtime and since then much has changed. Still, for much of its history Dara Happa, the Solar Empire, was a mighty force. Many of my other nations, such as Umbar, the Isles of the Purple Towns and Carmania were former colonies of the Solar Empire at its height.

As a reminder, here is my main map again:


This Dara Happan Emperor list also mentions other nations on the above map, that either used to be a part of the Solar Empire or were in conflict with it. These include Carmania, Turan and Saird.

Its my intent to draft a comprehensive timeline combining the Dara Happan list with the Tharkallan list and adding others such as a Keoland (Great Kingdom) list.

So, why bother with all this? I thought this was a wargame campaign. Well, for a number of reasons:

1) It's background. I believe it will help me flesh out my Noble Houses as I detail the nations in the campaign. Remember, this is following in the footsteps of Tony Bath's Hyboria campaign and so I need Rulers, and Noble families, Generals, Stewards, Priests and the like. Many noble houses will trace their ancestry back to particular Emperors or Heroes of the past. 

2) I think it provides scenarios, and inspires ideas for conflicts, past and present, that I can potentially wargame. Just compiling these lists from The Fortunate Succession I've had dozens ideas about how this links to that, and how things might work together. 

3) And the Dara Happan list not only helps with the Solar Empire, and Carmania, Turan and Saird - as mentioned above - but also eastern nations such as Oin and Yu (Golden Dragon), and the sorcerous island of Pan Tang (The Monster Army.)

No comments:

Post a Comment