Friday, January 21, 2022

Isandlwana - Laundry Day Rules - 2nd Rinse

Some slight additions.

Added: close order and defenses to the melee and morale sections.

Unfortunately we decided that with omicron sweeping our communities that we could leave our refight of the battle until another day. It would have been nice to do it on the anniversary but not essential. Anyway, I'm not ready yet. I might have been but once that decision was made I slacked off somewhat so I am a bit behind schedule.

I have been tinkering with the rules, adding bonuses for close order and defending defenses. And also a Yes/No aspect to the Fate Table. 

Another thing I might add is an answer to where Durnford's ammunition supply ended up. Vause's troop escorted it to camp but thereafter it is not mentioned, and of course, Durnford and the men with him had no idea where it was, hence their ammunition supply problems. AFAIK no orders were issued to set up a camp from Durnford's column, though if there were then presumably it would have been on the South end beside 1/24th. As I see it, the wagons could have been left on the Western side of the Nek, or moved to where this new camp might be established, or perhaps moved up to the NNC camps. So when an NCO or Officer is sent to retrieve ammo he has a bit of a problem. From accounts of the battle the ammunition supply was not located, so I'm guessing it didn't have a big sign on it! I'm thinking a random draw of chits from a bag, with one draw per turn and only one chit being the correct location. If somebody thinks to ask Lt Vause then they get two chits.

Thursday, January 13, 2022

Isandlwana - Laundry Day "Bloody Spears!" edition (Now in Tabloid!)


Page 1

Page 2

This is the most recent version of my "Quick-and-Deadly" Zulu War rules: Laundry Day - "Bloody Spears" edition. Note that under these rules the players are intended to take the role of Imperial Officers, while the Zulus are controlled by the referee. That said, I intend to make the British players make all the Zulu die rolls themselves; I'll just move the bases and deploy the Induna as necessary.

Zulu movement is pretty much pre-programmed by the actual events of the battle and so there is little referee input required anyway, except for the question of when to employ the "Induna Inspiration" rules. Each wing of the Impi, and also each regiment, has 1 or more Induna, who function as "Fate Points" to try and inspire the pinned down regiments to action. The Induna is placed on the table the turn before it is used. The following turn during movement, and as a regiment is being activated, the roll is made on the Fate Table to determine how successful the Induna is at inspiring the unit.

Sunday, January 2, 2022

Isandlwana: umCijo Musters



umCijo musters before the Great King, Cetshwayo, approximately 2500 warriors strong on 25 bases.

Thursday, December 30, 2021

Isandlwana - uVe Musters



Showing the lines of the component companies.

uVe regiment musters to receive its bases from the Great King, Cetshwayo, played in this instance by moi. Note the new, smaller bases (3" circular plastic labels purchased from Uline.) 

The regiment is approximately 2000 warriors strong on 20 bases. In comparison, each company of the 1/24th will have 16 figures plus a few separate NCOs and officers, and will occupy a frontage approximately 2/3rd that of uVe when in extended order (as they will be, per Lord Chelmsford's standing orders.)

Thursday, October 21, 2021

Isandlwana - Mod Podge Mountain

Isandlwana... a W.I.P.

So, the Mod Podge Mache continues. I've got about three coats on I reckon, or close to it. I'm using Mod Podge - the "water-based glue, sealer and finish" by PLAID - instead of traditional paper mache. It seems to work fine, despite the "4 week cure time" mentioned on the tub. I just started my second 32 fl ox (946 ml) tub last night. So, between the amaTushane kopje, a few Zulu bases and this, that is how much paper mache I've done. The latest work has been to go around the edge and cover the base cardboard. I don't think I'm going to do underneath, though it might make it stronger if I did. (hmm...)

I've also been scrutinizing what photos I can find of Isandlwana before I tackle the upper bit; I didn't want to just go from a "mind's eye" impression. Unfortunately the period photos all seem to be from the same angle, or close to it. I'll just have to keep in mind that the more detailed modern photos reflect 140 years or so of wind and rain erosion. 

The plan is to cut the upper part down, both with vertical crevasses and possibly to shave a bit off the bulk. When I built it up I just sort of "winged it" and I might have over did it slightly. I'm away on the weekend so I'm not going to get back to it until late next week, but at least it'll be well dried by then.