Thursday, August 27, 2020

Lohwand: The Legions of the Tharkallan Empire, Part 2


XForce 60 mm Early Imperial Romans

Expeditionary Force (or XForce) is a manufacturer of 54 mm and 60 mm plastic figures based in Singapore. Their range is quite impressive and is expanding rapidly. The 60 mm ranges include Ancients and now WW2. It is the Ancients that I am interested in to build forces for my Lohwand campaign.

I am using the Early Imperial Romans for my Tharkallan legions, as I blogged about in a previous post. Since then my first order has arrived: a sampling of Legion II Augusta, the command box, a cavalry box and a box of Scorpio bolt throwers.

In the picture above are the figures from two Legio II boxes and some of the figures from a command box. The bases are 3mm MDF cut 5" wide by 4" deep. I've been toying with organization. I am planning to drill holes for magnets and then put steel paper on the bottom of each figure base. I wouldn't have to fix the figures on the base permanently if I do this. The problem is I would likely need to leave the base un-flocked, perhaps just painted green and I am not sure if I want that look. I know it is a "Toy Soldier" aesthetic but I am used to flocked bases that blend with the ground cloth.

I might be able to dress the base up leaving room for the figure base, either tracing the outline exactly or allowing sufficient extra space around it. I have yet to verify how regular the XForce bases are. i.e. do they use a standard base size and shape for all their 60 mm figures? 

The figures arrayed above are set up in one layout I am contemplating. I am trying to replicate the tactical deployment of an EIR Century, which I will then use to represent a cohort in my games. I'm struggling to determine where the command elements stood during battle, however.  Here I have the Centurion in the first rank, right-hand file, the Aquilifer in the center of the front rank, the Optio (2IC) behind the ranks keeping order and discipline, along with the musician and Signifer. The Imagifer (when I get one) I am intending to place with the Legate commanding the legion. I'm just not confident I've got it right. Maybe the Signifer and the Aquilifer should be swapped out?

This would, I think, be the 1st Cohort, which should be double strength. So maybe the Signifer goes with one half and the Aquilifer the other? Would either of these two standard bearers really be in the front rank? The other cohorts would just have Signifers. 

Note that I am not intending to build a full ten cohorts! I think what I will do is build three or four for a couple of legions at least to start, maybe expanding to cover all the XForce options. (I have to also consider the Auxilia!) I will use this organization, or something similar for smaller games, but for really large battles have each base of six figures represent a cohort.

I haven't seen the contents of the Auxiliary Infantry box yet so I'll have to leave the planning on hold for those.

EDIT: Osprey is having an ebook sale - 40% off general history and games (inc wargames and Frostgrave) until August 31st, 2020. I picked up some and then splurged and bought a regularly priced book about the Roman army (not sure of the actual title).

Skimming it last night seems to indicate that I have the Centurion placed correctly, and the Optio, and that the Aquilifer and Signifer do go in the middle of the front rank. The Aquilifer (i.e. Eagle Bearer) would replace the Signifer in the 1st Cohort. Still not sure about where to put the musician, but I am thinking behind the ranks with the Optio as I don't think he could fight very well while carrying that horn.

Also, it suggests that not all legions had double strength 1st Cohortes. This I will have to research more. If I do use a double strength 1st Cohort, it will be two times the illustrated organization with a Signifer in the second century. My thinking being that the Signifer is displaying all the honours and awards granted and while guarding the Eagle is a great honour the men would still want to display all their achievements.

Lastly: I need to double check my spelling for all these latin terms! 

No comments:

Post a Comment