Saturday, February 13, 2021

Lohwand: Swan Knights of Dol Amroth

 


Swan Knight of Dol Amroth


Per LOTR fame, repurposed as some kind of "Knights of Malta" proxies for my Lohwand campaign. Meaning they've got an island, with a fortress, and galleys with which they engage the "heathen" ... or the pirates, at least.

60mm HYW knight from XForce, with a head from Tradition of London (which sells lots of nominally 54mm bits).


The banner I cobbled together in PowerPoint - the "poor man's graphics program". 

I borrowed the graphics from the wappenwiki.org Roll of Arms page:


The ship is borrowed from the Earl of Caithness:



The waves are from the Staple of Calais:





I cropped and edited them using the tools in Paint, saved as a jpg and pasted into PowerPoint. In PP I had already used the drawing tools to make a rectangle and a triangle inside it (3" x 1" actually size IIRC). I then copied and flipped them to get the back face. I allowed a bit in between for the banner pole - only about .15" IIRC which turned out a bit skimpy. 

As I had room I made four copies and used the picture tools to make some various grey-scaled versions. This b/c I currently only have a B&W printer and didn't want the prints coming out too black. I thought the blue would be pitch black but as it turned out it is potentially viable as well. 

The plan is to attempt to "paint within the lines" in the manner of Pete's Flags - sample attached. (Jasper Tudor)

Pete's Flags - Superb!

Currently waiting for the glue to dry. Used a cheap craft white glue from Michaels. The reason for the rectangle is to allow one to line up the two halves. The final flag will be trimmed to the swallow tail outlined by the triangle. 

I used an Xacto knife handle to get the fluttering effect in the flag.

Still have to decide what shade of blue to use for the knights. I've been experimenting with Vallejo paint triads posted on Google drive by some guy:


(Apologies to the author of those files, but I can't remember his name.)

Howard

1 comment: